By Steve Samek
No doubting the some of the best team names come from Minor League baseball. Team names reflect everything from the ridiculous to the historical to the affiliation agreement. The results can be mixed and not all minor-league systems rank the same. This post shows one such ranking https://bensbiz.mlblogs.com/guest-post-2017-farm-system-logo-rankings-b317503c0697.
I love the idea of ranking the whole systems and not just the names individually, though that may come later. Sit back relax and enjoy the rankings for major league team with the best affiliate names. Note part one is 30-15 and 14-1 will come in part two.
30. Atlanta Braves. While the newest team in the organization has a sick name in the Florida Fire Frogs, the rest just aren’t creative. Try the tune of Braves times six. It’s just too boring and needs to change Obvious pick for the worst system for creative names.
29. Boston Redsox. While a bit better than Atlanta not by much. The triple a and high-a team sport Redsox monikers as to three lower level teams. Despite the triple-a team going by the other nickname Paw socks it’s just too close to the original. Two clubs in the Lowell Spinners and Greenville Drive add some spice, but aren’t great.
28. St. Louis Cardinals. St. Louis is very similar to Boston. Five teams rock Cardinals names while a sixth rocks a Redbirds name. Spikes and Chiefs prevent a total bird theme, but it’s still a boring system of names.
27. Baltimore Orioles. Birds galore make up the system for Baltimore. Throw in a sox name and the combo of the unoriginal is complete. The Norfolk Tides and their unique sea horse is the best of the bunch, but it’s still lackluster.
26. Anaheim Angels.
Multiple Angels and Bees team say boring. Though the unique 66ers name helps out just a boring set of logos.
25. Chicago Cubs. Bears are a theme there. Pelicans and Emeralds complement them, but the defending series winners didn’t win here.
24. New York Yankees
Two team twin with the big club here. Then next come the Thunder, River dogs and Railriders Not too good, but not too bad a bit underwhelming is why they rank so low.
23. Chicago White Socks. While only two lower level teams rock the same name as their parent, this is a list loaded with ho-hum names. Knights, Barons and Dash are nothing special. Voyagers and Intimidators are the best of the bunch, but may rank near the middle as far as unique individual names.
22. Cleveland Indians
The highlight of this group is the Akron rubber ducks. The Scrappers and Captains are better than an Indians name, but the Clippers and Hillcats leave much to be desired.
21. Washington Nationals.
This name set is filled with patriotic luster with another Nationals, Senators and Chiefs. The Suns is a ho-hum name and seems odd for Hagerstown. The Auburn Doubleday’s gives a tip of the cap to the invention of the game of baseball and the myth behind it. Making it the best in a middle of the road set.
20. Arizona Diamondbacks.
Arizona is a solid, but unspectacular set of names. Aces is classic, but boring, as is Generals and Cougars. Hops and Rawhide are in a league of their own, but again nothing so funny, or memorable.
19. Houston Astros.
It didn’t help the Astros ranking to add a new team called the Astros. This gives them five squads with that name. Grizzles is another ho-hum name not helping much. Hooks and River Bandits try and redeem the organization it’s not a super strong try.
18. Detroit Tigers
Flying Tigers and four more Tiger cub teams make up the organization. Though positive points for the Western Michigan Whitecaps and Toledo Mud Hens.
17. Pittsburgh Pirates.
The Altoona Curve are the stand out name in a series with Indians, Blackbears, Power and Marauders. Though the organization is a bit lower than average on exciting names.
16. Toronto Blue Jays.
Fisher Cats are funny and the Vancouver Canadians is a local flare team name. Though A Jays clone and Bison add an underwhelming element to the puzzle.
15. Minnesota Twins
The Twins are another middle of the pack set of names. The Fort Myers Miracle and Chattanooga Lookouts are the standouts here. Red Wings and Kernels are a bit of a step down, but not enough to move the Twins too far up, or down on the list.
View Part two here. http://bit.ly/2owC7Dy.